Monday, February 19, 2024

FORMER PLAYER CONNECTS; MORE ABOUT CLARK

     I, the Kornerman, always enjoy hearing from or seeing one of my old ballplayers. I had just been discharged from U.S. Army service in 1958 and "back home" was immediately invited to be a Babe Ruth League baseball manager. I certainly never dreamed, at that time, that it would be 25 years later before I finally yielded those duties to a younger enthusiast. 

     Larry Lindmark, BHS-63, was on my very first team and I just received a note from him. Not baseball but fashion was on his mind.

     Larry wrote, "in recent years, a popular jean style has been to have horizontal rips or tears across the thigh area. I've even noticed this kind of wearing apparel is suitable for the winter months as well as summertime. When I was in grade school, if my mom saw a hole developing in the knees of my jeans, she would quickly iron on a denim patch to prevent the hole from becoming larger, thus, increasing the longevity of the jeans. Now, a buyer can purchase jeans with a ready-made hole. However, the rage in the late 1950's and early 60's was to wear bright colored trousers, red or blue or green or maybe even yellow. Now that, was fashionable."

     Editor's note: I remember sitting at a mall years ago and across the way was a store selling these jeans with holes in the knee area. It gave me a great idea. I remembered that I had lots of old jeans at home. I could cut holes in those jeans and see of that store would be interested in buying "my" jeans at a very reasonable price for their future sale in their store.We'd both be happy.

     More from Larry Lindmark, "Some time back, you mentioned in your posting about a home run hitter on a Little League team from Burlington. They were visiting Jimmy Archer Field as part of the state series of tournaments. That team followed the fashion of the day by having uniforms that were not uniform. Like the brightly colored slacks that were worn to Boone schools, Burlington players were outfitted with brightly colored uniforms. One player was decked out in bright green pants and jersey and another had bright blue pants and jersey and another was in red. The team was wearing a variety of colors while sharing the same dugout. The Major League Houston Astros and Oakland A's, you might remember, followed this 50's and 60's fad with brightly colored uniforms in the 1970's. Thanks for the memories."

     Editor's note: I can't help but mention that the Burlington Little League home run hitter was Jim Dunegan, who eventally became a Major League player. He is remembered for hitting the longest home run ever hit by a Little Leaguer at Jimmy Archer Field. It easily sailed over the outfield fence, across 10th street and hit a house before coming to rest. Anybody else remember that?

K-----K

     Amidst all of this recent Caitlin Clark talk there's been mention made of the fact that the Hawkeye star still has a women's scoring record to break.

     Here's the difference. Clark broke the NCAA record. HOWEVER, in 1981, before the NCAA recognized women's collegiate basketball as a program, Lynette Woodard, a star player at Kansas University, scored 3,649 points, 81 points more than Clark has achieved. Clark, of course, will shatter that record also in just  few more of her games in the coming weeks.

     I'm sorry.....I'm proud.....so I have to mention.........in 1989 at Wesley Chapel, Florida, that Lynette Woodard was inducted into the National Federation of State High School Associations

     Yes, it was me, this now very old timer from Boone Iowa who presided over that induction ceremony over 30 years ago. In my possession is a nice picture of Lynette and me and she, also, kindly, autographed my banquet program and made some nice comments.

     Lynette was a collegiate All-American, a gold medal Olympic team member and even played a short time for the Harlem Globetrotters.

     P.S. Yes....there is still one more record for Caitlin to break. The all-time NCAA scoring record, considering both men and women athletes, is the 3,667 established by Pistol Pete Maravich. Clark's 3569 total in just 98 points back of the Maravich total. 

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone Iowa, 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices......http://kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment