Saturday, February 5, 2022

BREAKING NEWS ALERT

BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS
     Boone's James Rueber, a regular Korner viewer, provides some valuable information for those of you planning to attend the Super Bowl,  February 13, at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA.
     He wrote, "on Ticketmaster, the NFL's official ticket marketplace, the cheapest Super Bowl tickets were listed at just over $6,000 per seat, but when you include extra fees, the cost is actually more than $7,000. The most expensive pair was going for about $65,000 each in the VIP section, or over $78,000 when factoring in fees. The highest priced single seat I saw was just under $40,000. Can you even imagine?"
     There's no time to waste. You Korner viewers now have the info you need so its time to move ahead by contacting Ticketmaster.
K-----K
     Regarding our recent Boone County Hospital discussions, BHS-53 classmate Richard Longworth has added some comments.
     Dick wrote, "Vern Modeland's evocative description of the old hospital, at Marshall and First, I believe, was pretty much where it is today. My father was a surgeon there and I recall hanging out, watching him set a broken bone or provide some other routine service. Not operations, of course....even then, hygiene was vital, even if privacy wasn't. I can't imagine doctors today letting their kids watch them at work."
    He added, "Vern's story about Eisenhower's visit also brought back an old memory. Ike and Mamie were in Boone to visit the Carlson's, her cousins, when she got pneumonia and was taken to the Boone County Hospital, under my father's care. This was just after World War II. Penicillin had been invented but pneumonia then still was no joke. In time, she began to recover and my father figured he had earned the right to ask Ike to shake hands with his son. I was smuggled into the hospital, wearing my Cub Scout uniform, and spent about ten minutes with the general, as I recall, talking about Cub scouting in Boone. He had just been on the cover of Life Magazine and he autographed my copy of it, which I still have. Then he went back to Mamie and I went to the ER entrance, where his limo was parked. As Vern recalls, a crowd had gathered, including Vern and other friends. They wanted to know where I had been. "Upstairs", I said, "consulting with the general". Naturally, they didn't believe a word of it. But, just then, the ER door opened and Eisenhower came out. The crowd cheered. He waved, and then spotted me among my friends. He gave me a salute and said, "Hi, Kid." If Ike were alive today, I'd still be voting for him."
     EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a long winded tribute to my, years ago, doctor, W.H. Longworth.  I've probably penned this story in the Korner,  maybe more than once. I simply don't recall. But, here goes anyway. When I was a seventh grader, I was diagnosed with polio and spinal meningitis which socked me in the hospital for a time and resulted in my spending two years as a seventh grader.....due to missed school time. In those days, those were very serious illnesses with the most serious facing time in an "Iron Lung" to aid in breathing. Thankfully, I missed that, and survived well enough to play sports in high school and college and live a pretty "normal" life until recent years when what is called, "Polio Syndrome" arrived. That's a situation where, many years later, some of the original symptoms come back for a second try. So, in more recent years, my legs are finally affected and there are a few other minor challenges as well but I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. 
    But here's the main thing I wanted to impart. My doctor, during this dire situation in my early teens, was W. H. Longworth, Dick's dad, and I have always felt, it was his medical mastery that saved me a good life that is close to 87 years  in length. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dr. Longworth.
K-----K
    BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS
    Lois Pritchard Ross, 91, Boone/Eastern Star. Born in Luther. Moved from Council Bluffs to Boone at age 17. BHS-48. Married Dale H. Ross in 1948. He died in 1973. Married William Johnston in 1978. He died in 1986. Lois worked as a bookkeeper for the DOT for several years before retiring in 1995. Survivors include her daughter, Marti Pepples, of Boone and a brother. Services in Boone.
K-----K
      Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment