Saturday, May 30, 2020

THANK YOU'S AND A CONFESSION

     Gretchen Caldwell Otis, BHS-52, passed away recently and this is probably a few days late.
     Since her illness took a negative turn, the Kornerman's incoming phone calls have taken a "hit" but Gretchen's very unique legacy will remain......always.
     Call it a hobby.....or, in Gretchen's case, much more than that. But, she spent hours and phone calls on end providing or seeking information on current or former Boone residents.......for "your" information more likely than hers.
     Whether she was locating a missing Boone graduate for a reunion reminder or seeking death and funeral information on a "long lost" Boone native, her effort was unrelenting.
      When she was "on a case," time was not a factor and I knew her news was "the latest" or in dire need of further study.
     Through the years, she and I, the Kornerman, exchanged that type of information on a pretty regular basis. Her call might be early morn, high noon or late at night but you knew it was important.
     She dug deep....contacting a second cousin at, perhaps, an out-of-state location, seeking info on a first cousin that was a BHS grad, now located, in who knows where. Her grit surely produced a tremendous success rate but I would guess she also had some hefty phone bills on occasion.
     Gretchen apparently loved the challenge and not just me, but many others, here and wherever, were grateful recipients of valuable information she was able to provide. I'm not sure she's replaceable.
     I speak for many, Gretchen. Thank you, now RIP.
K-----K
     If you are reading this, you realize that we have started our DAILY Boone Connected Deaths project. In addition to our regular Wednesday/Saturday more complete listings, we are now, as soon as we learn officially of new deaths, posting those.......regardless of what day it is. Then, we follow later with added details on the following Wednesday or Saturday. Its a service we just felt was badly needed under current media restrictions.
     Vern Modeland, BHS-50, had this comment, "the idea you share seems like a winner IF you don't wear yourself out doing it. Sometimes, that's the danger of seeing a need and filling it."
     Wanda Lingren added, "I want to thank you so much for putting in the names of the people that passed away every day. I am one of those who found out too late that someone had passed."
      On another recent Korner mention she answered, "that trailor you saw near Pilot Mound, I believe, belongs to Lorna Lingren Scott and her husband. They have a carnival that is called Scott Amusements. Since they are not allowed to have carnivals at this time, I think they are doing the best they can by, at least, selling their cotton candy and foods at "home.""
K-----K
     Well, its time for a confession......time to "come clean."
     Just like many others, during this pandemic time of semi-isolation, the Kornerman has spent an inordinate amount of time scanning the internet.
     A favorite place to browse is Jerry Manriquez, BSH-57, fabulous website. Within that site, is a Bumble B's link......you know, our BHS school newspaper.
     Some folks who have sent Bumble B's to Jerry deserve some credit. They include Ron Eppert, UC-71; Kae Nelson Schmickley, BHS-56; Ron Schmickley and Judy Brown Patterson, both BHS-54; Sally Shaler Harwood, BHS-55; Nancy Westfall Gurrola, BHS-60, and Scott Linn, BHS-74.
     As a result, the following years of Bumble B's are available for viewing.....1922-24; 1950-60 and 1973-74.
     As I, the Kornerman, was perusing some of those pages, I found myself smiling, laughing and enjoying the many memories that evolved.
     That got me to thinking.......there are many others, these days, who need a smile and some good memories to help them ease their way through this "delicate" period of time. As a result, I decided to launch another Korner project.
     I saw many names of people I am familiar with and who are still in this area so, at random, when I would see something interesting about someone, I would scan the items, usually more than one, clip them, put them in an envelope and mail the items to them with the hope it would draw a smile and produce a memory or two.
     I did provide some identification.......I did put the Kornerman's home address on each envelope.
     My classmate, Jo Morris Martin, BHS-53, figured out I was the culprit and wrote, "you really know how to make an 85-year old feel young again. Thanks for the clippings. Those were the "good old days."
     I did send a few to some out-of-towners. Janaan Munson Kennedy, BHS-54, of Barrington, IL emailed, "thanks for the note. Takes me back to my typing class with Miss Ealy. I continue to enjoy your bi-weekly reporting on the happenings and stories of days gone by, very much appreciated." I sent Tom Peterson, BHS-67, a nice piece about his deceased brother, Merrill Peterson, BHS-55, and Tom said he would pass it along to Merrill's children.
     Karen Mustapha Langmade, BHS-58, emailed a "thank you" and classmate Richard Longworth, BHS-53, emailed, "thanks for sending the note on my one moment of athletic glory (he won a state table tennis championship). Quite an irony, I was one of the very least athletic members of our class but may have been the only one to win a state title."
     The items sent covered a variety of subjects from outstanding athletic play to participation in music, drama or homeroom events.....honor roll honorees etc. etc.
     I finally quit......my eyes started telling me I was looking at the computer too much each day plus the fact, it was getting to be an expensive project at 50-cents a lick. I didn't keep track but I imagine I ended up sending maybe 30 or more envelopes. It was fun for me and I hope all those who received them did smile and stop to think about those old, less complicated days.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Dr. Richard Byerly, 81, Creston. BHS-56. Was a coach/teacher/Athletic Director at Gilbert while earning his PhD from Iowa State University. Started work for DMACC in 1970 and eventually became the President of Southwestern Community College in Creston. Was an Iowa state legislator from 1973-83. Survivors include his wife, Christi, two daughters and six sons..........Robert Nichols, 88, rural Ogden. Married Marion Roberts in 1967 and the couple moved to the Ogden area. He was a carpenter/mason and worked at Iowa State University for many years prior to retirement in 1995. Survivors include his wife, Marion, three sons, including Troy Nichols of Ogden and Brett Nichols of Boone. Two sisters also survive.........Ben Powers, 30. Survivors include his father, Brad Powers, of Arvada, CO., his mother, Barb Majoros, of Boone and two sisters, Becky Schwanz of Madrid and Brittany Powers of Boone.......Frances Frey, 84, Madrid. Born in Zookspur. Married Robert Frey in 1953. Was a farm wife. Survivors include her son, Robert Frey of Madrid, a daughter, three brothers, two sisters and two sisters-in-law........VaDonna Leaf, 91, Webster City. Born on a farm near Stanhope. Stanhope HS-47. Married Paul Leaf in 1952. The couple farmed near Stratford and operated the Bell's Mill sorghum mill. In 1990, moved to Webster City. She was a free lance writer/author and a speaker. Four children survive, including a son, Chris Leaf, of Boone.........Helen Robertson, 84, Reno, NV.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment