Wednesday, June 5, 2019

ALL ABOUT ME, ME, ME

     WARNING: This edition is all about me, me, me. If you're not inclined to witness such material, there are  some options. One, you could simply delete this edition and wait for the next one. BETTER YET, you could provide some stories/memories/comments about YOUR LIFE to fill in this spot on a Wednesday or Saturday.
      GO FOR IT.......bypass today and/or work on YOUR material to fill future editions rather than put up with "substitute" measures like this.
      It was Hall of Fame baseball pitcher, Dizzy Dean, who once proclaimed, "it ain't braggin' if you did it."
      In the following instances, I did it and I'm proud.
      So, for those of you willing to accept that, here's the skinny:
     (1) I  noticed the recent death of NFL Hall of Fame Green Bay quarterback Bart Starr. When I, the Kornerman, served the national association for eight years as the Master of Ceremonies at the National High School Hall of Fame ceremony, Bart Starr was one of those that I inducted into this hall, which was based on each individuals high school accomplishments. Of course, many of those honored went on to become college and/or even professional standouts as well.
     Bart Starr was very complimentary of my effort on his behalf, posed for a picture with me and autographed my program. He was a real southern gentleman.
     (2) I had almost forgotten this until the other day when I was reading minutes of recent Iowa High School Athletic Association Board meetings which they still provide to me.
     To my surprise, mentioned were the latest recipients of the Morris "Mo" Kelley Iowa Award given annually to Iowans who aid their community school by longtime public address work at high school events.
     Every school community in Iowa has individuals who do this volunteer duty.......many for 10, 20, even 40 or more years. I was the "voice" of Toreador football for over 40 years.
     When I was retired by the association, they started this program as a tribute to me. All of the schools in Iowa can nominate individuals for this award and its been an ongoing program since 2000. The three latest honorees are Jim Schwaller of Coon Rapids-Bayard; Brian Eichelberger of Tipton and Gary Naylor of Ankeny.
     A very nice trophy is sent to each honorees school for presentation to the individuals, as desired, probably at some type of regular assembly.
     (3) Last week, Jo and I met some friends at a small bar/restaurant in Arcadia, Iowa (Pop-512). A very nice young lady was our waitress and she immediately said something to the effect, "I remember that voice from state basketball and I recognize you even with the gray hair." A young man, nearby, said, "what's the big deal?" and the waitress replied, "this takes me back to my childhood."
     She said she was on her high school basketball squad at Lake View-Auburn.
     Wow! You know, I've spoken many times of the power of television. For 30 years, on a statewide network during all the various state championship events, I spent time in Iowan's living rooms and it isn't unusual for this recognition, even today.......20 years later.
     That's it......for those of you who "bit the bullet," I hope your day was not completely ruined by this bragfest. Things will get better. Hopefully, we will hear from you with some stories and memories you've accumulated.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Brian Hammond, 58, Aurora, CO. Formerly of Boone. Born in Boone. BHS-78. Worked for the railroad. U.S. Army vet. After service, moved to Colorado to attend the University of Northern Colorado. Worked for UPS and then as a deputy sheriff. His parents, Bob and Ardith Hammond, of Boone survive. Other survivors include two sons and two sisters, Cindy Carpenter, of Boone and Tammy Reimers of Ogden........Martha "Marty" Clayberg, 75, Altoona. Boone area survivor is a sister, Patricia Firnhaber of Boone..........Robert Schlegel, 84, Des Moines. Was born in Boone. His parents were Inez and Howard Schlegel........Beulah Jeane Lamm, 100, Ogden. Attended beauty school and operated a beauty shop in Truro. Married Merrill Lamm in 1942. The couple moved to the Ogden area in 1947 to farm until 1991. Merrill passed in 2017. Three daughters survive. Boone area survivor is a son, Alan Lamm, of Ogden.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment