Saturday, October 28, 2017

Those Kokanakis Coneys........Chili Too

     Anybody else noticed that Tony Crandell's quizzes seem to deal with food? Pizza, now Coney's. Well, I think he's pondering an investigation into auto dealer's next.
     Anyway, the question was, "in the 50's there were four places in Boone where you could get a genuine "Coney Island."" Name them.
     Here goes....(1) The Kokanakis Coney Island on the southeast corner of Eighth and Keeler. (2) Jim's Coney Island on Ninth Street, east of Ninth and Story at the alley. (3) George's east on old Highway 30 next door to the East End Cafe. (4) Danny's just north of Northside Cleaners on North Story Street.
    There were questions about some names. The Kornerman thinks he has Kokanakis right. I think Jim and George were Douroumes brothers and Danny was Dan Canakes.
     Tony, BHS-59, wrote, "I can barely remember Danny's place. I am guessing it was in the late 40's or very early 50's that I was in there. I remember having a Coney Island at Danny's and was somewhat surprised as I thought Pete Kokanakis had invented the Coney in Boone. My grandmother lived at 809 1/2 Keeler so I was a very frequent visitor to Pete's Coney Island and when I worked at the Rialto, I was a frequent visitor at Jim's. I remember Jim's daughter worked there and they would argue back and forth in Greek. It always sounded so nasty, but I guess it wasn't. My dad's aunt lived on east old Highway 30 just short of Delaware Street, across from the old service station, so I was at George's occasionally. Then, since dad knew Bill Heitcamp of the East End Cafe, if I was that close, I generally ate there. Harley McCoy was in my class and I remember his brother married one of the Kokanakis girls. I think she was a cheerleader."
     Jerry Manriquez, BSH-57, added to the conversation. He wrote, "Danny Canakes owned the restaurant next to North Side Cleaners. Nine of his children graduated from Boone High School. I only knew Dean Canakes, BHS-54. I had heard that during World War II, Danny would give service men in uniform a free meal. Pete Kokanakis owned the restaurant called the Coney Island on Eighth and Keeler. Three of his children graduated from Boone High. I only knew Martha Kokanakis, BHS-54. My wife's cousin worked for Pete for years but  is now deceased but  her daughter, Ethel Morgan, probably knows some things about Pete's place. Yes, George and Jim Douroumes were brothers. George's bar was actually called the Washington Tavern. I drank lots of beer there but I don't remember eating chili. George married a Wilson and they had three children. I knew Patricia Wilson, BSH-60."
     Perusing all that, the Kornerman can just add this. I do remember that Martha Kokanakis was a cheerleader. Ethel Morgan's mother was Mrs. Vest and I remember the Vest family because they lived on the northside near where I grew up, which was 1710 Crawford. Jerry mentioned the Washington Tavern and there was talk of George's place being located on old 30 at the east edge of town. When I think of the Washington Tavern, I think of a place near the old interurban offices on north Story street, east side.
K-----K
     I don't know that I'd feel comfortable hiring a California law firm of Payne and Fears or the Arkansas firm of Rush, Rush and Delay.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Bruce Richeson, 69, Peoria, AZ. Formerly of Boone. BHS-66. His parents were Lavonne and Perry Richeson. Air Force vet and a banker...........Gaylord Nelson, 85, Marion. Formerly of Webster City and Boone. BHS-51. In Webster, owned and operated Kueen's Mobile Homes/Kueen's Trailer Ranch. Retired in 1996 and moved to Marion........Inez Louise Sesker, 92, Maxwell........James Irving Sr., 82, Stratford.......Julie Robinson, 85, Stratford. Formerly of Boone. Was a teacher at Churdan, Yale, Jamaica, Bagley and the Iowa School for the Deaf. Five children survive.......Elva Johnson, 99, Boone. Resident of Eastern Star Home.......Tom Edson, 67, Polk City, formerly of Boone. BHS-70. Farmed and drove trucks, over the road and for Tom Walters Co. of Boone and Chitty Sanitation of Nevada. His parents were Floyd and Helen Edson. A son and daughter survive. Boone area survivors include his sister, Jean Brown, of Ogden and niece, Brooke Brown, of Madrid.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson Street, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT....kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment