Saturday, September 23, 2017

Floridians are O.K.

     In a recent edition, Loren Frazier, BHS-58, recalled his concern when his classmate, Gene Strandberg, faced the wrath of hurricane Charley in Florida several years ago. The recent hurricane, Irma, brought back those memories and again, this year, Loren was wondering about the Strandberg's fate.
     Gene and his wife, Diane, read that Korner and replied, "all newer homes in Florida, like ours, comply with building codes that make them able to withstand 135 mph winds. And, they come with metal hurricane shutters for all the windows and doors. So, we were relatively safe inside. Our only damage was a leaning tree. Also, newer developments, like ours, have buried utilities which minimizes the length of power outages. Some of our neighbors evacuated to Orlando and Atlanta but Irma went there also."
K-----K
     In the last edition we offered an idea for tracking down names or addresses when they can't be found in the very scaled down current telephone books.
     Wanda Lingren wrote, "thank you for the tip on finding addresses. I will try it. A few weeks ago I was trying to find an address and, of course, it was not in the phone book. We are still listed because I won't give up my land line. A person could lose their cell power so that is why I am keeping ours. After seeing nothing on your blog a few times I got worried that you might quit so I'm glad to see that you are back up and running. I don't go back as far as some of your usual contributors that's why I usually don't have anything to say. We did not move to Boone until I was 11 so I don't remember a lot of the things talked about. But I know we all appreciate your hard work."
K-----K
     McDonald's is a pretty good place to discover folks you haven't seen for some time. Recently, I had the pleasure of seeing a former co-worker, Vivian Khan, I hadn't seen for a long time. Years ago  we worked side by side at the Boone News.........I, with some instructions as to how I wanted "my" page developed and she would then follow up........placing the stories and making the page camera ready. Oh, how I miss those days and all of the other people I worked with through the years. It has given me a thought I might soon follow through with.........listing as many former BNR folks as I/we can remember.......just like we recently did with KWBG.
     P.S. Vivian said she has worked as a church secretary for 13 years and is contemplating retirement. Hard to believe but that "little kid" of hers she used to talk about is now a chiropractor and, in fact, is right now opening up his first office. Its located at the building across the street and just west of the old Dairy Queen, now a Cyclone Car lot, on Mamie Eisenhower.
K-----K
     Vern Modeland, BHS-50, wrote, "I know it can get to feel like you're the only person willing to do this. But, I hear from a lot of my friends that he/she knows someone who "saw it" on Mo's blog. Thanks to IPad and all of those technologies I dislike so much, I've come to believe we're close to the end of communication between family and friends. Damn pity."
K-----K
     A couple of quickies to close.(1) Gary Long, BHS-73, was an excellent wrestler, football player at BHS and Coe College and is just a heck of a good guy/friend. For years, he has been involved in Iowa high schools as an educator, leaning mostly toward athletic activities. I've know of his passion for the Minnesota Vikings. For years, he's followed their games all over the country as well as in Minneapolis. Now, his mom, Marilyn Miller Long, BHS-49, tells me he has completed a long-time goal. Via a most recent trip, Gary has now  seem a major league baseball game in EVERY major league park. (2) The Kornerman told you viewers in a recent edition about classmate Dick Longworth's book. It was also mentioned that Dick's dad, Dr. W.H. Longworth, had written a history of medicine in Boone County. Dick, BHS-53, replied, "dad took that on as a retirement project and got a lot of joy out of it. After his death, Dr. Lou Greco updated it. I believe both versions are at the Boone County Historical Society.
K-----K
     11 days to go
K-----K  
      BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Brian Grosnickle, son of former Boone residents, Delores and Gary Grosnickle..........Lois Kuhl, Boone.........Richard Beachler, 66, Boone..........Don Silver, 93, Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To  email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT.........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment