Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Those Wonderful Days at KWBG

     I, the Kornerman, a former, proud employee of KWBG radio, had mentioned recently that I had been attempting to recall the names of all the old KWBG employees I could remember from my days there, starting in the early 1950's. I stayed involved there into the 60's and 70's. My list has hit the 40 mark and there, no doubt, are some I've forgotten. I'll share my current list a few lines down.
     Meantime, Vern Modeland, BHS-50, referring to my quest, wrote, "you didn't leave me out, I hope. I launched a 15-year career in broadcasting from KWBG beginning in 1950. Yep, just a month or so out of high school after I learned I wasn't cut out for much else, particularly as a go-fer at the local Allis Chalmers dealership. I had a morning shift for a time, while I learned the ropes, then joined then-Program Director, Wayne Spangler, as half of the staff of KWBG's remote studio in Perry. Went from KWBG to KFJB, Marshalltown, for a time. Then back to KWBG before following Story City native, Wayne Olson, from the night shift at Boone when KWBG carried the Liberty Broadcasting Network including Jack Brickhouse's "live" wrestling broadcasts from Chicago. Remember wrestling as broadcast fare? Wayne went on to KJFJ at Webster City and, ultimately, convinced the owners, a newspaper publisher and an attorney, that they needed me too. Bob Graham, also a Program Director at KWBG, by then, had gone to WHO as it expanded into television. He talked me into following and I talked Wayne into following me. Small world wasn't it?"
     The Kornerman says, "oh boy, where do I start........or end? The memories are flowing. For those who don't know, KWBG got its start in about 1950. I don't have an exact date before me. Tom Quinlan took a chance on a young guy........a 1953 senior in high school.......and that was my start in media work. But, we'll save some of that for another day."
     "Who remembers Lindsay Nelson? That mention of Liberty got me thinking. Wasn't that the network that did lots of baseball with Nelson the prime announcer?
    On to the list of former employees I can remember. I'm anxious to see if any of these names ring a bell with our viewers.........Bob Hite, Dale Burge, Tom Quinlan, Eldon Schlenker, Hal Mann, Mark Campbell, Larry Kelley, Bernie Lewiston, Bob Corcoran, Roger Weber, Mike Pace, Mary Day, Mike Jacobson, Dick Johnson, Wes Nielsen, Ken Kilmer, Bob Engnell, Vern Modeland, Wayne Olson, Signe Shaler, Gary Pace, Bob Erickson, Delores Coffee, Dick Canier, Clarence (Pete) Peterson, Christie Munson, Betty Callery, John Gannon, Ken Carpenter, Carla Menough, Pauline Bowman, Bernardine Staley, Kio Dettman, Bob Pink, Bob Sharp, Milton White, Ray Malmberg, Wayne Spangler, Bob Graham.
     To be accurate, there are 39 names......I had repeated Roger Weber.
     Then, I'm wondering about former Boone residents, Ev Hickman and Drexel Peterson, who had radio careers in other communities. I don't know if they ever worked at BG.
     Okay, I'm open for additional names...........
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Dennis Rupp, 88, Harrison, AK. Graveside services will be held in Boone Friday at Boone Memorial Gardens.........Larry Ferrari, 77, Pilot Mound. Born in Ogden. Attended school in Pilot Mound. Worked at Quinn's, Hallett's and farmed. Boone area survivors include his wife, Nancy, of Pilot Mound, son, Troy, of Dayton and daughter, Roxanne Dozier, of Ogden. One other daughter also survives.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment