Saturday, March 11, 2017

Again, the Korner Will Be Viewed Overseas

     He's back. This time from London.
     Keith Smith, BHS-56, had emailed the Korner from Paris a couple years ago. Now, Keith, who has earned a MS in Mathematics from Florida State in 1961 and a Ph.D from Iowa State in 1966, will again favor us with a message from "across the pond."
     Keith wrote, "after emailing you from Paris, now, I'm getting ready to go to London in a couple of weeks, and, of course, I will be reading your blog while I'm there for 10 days. My routine for the last 10 years is to visit Paris and London four times a year for opera, ballet, musicals, art exhibitions, shopping and dining. These trips give me fun breaks from my work and recharge my batteries. On these trips, I eat much more that I do at home, but usually lose weight because of all the walking I do. The latest thing for me is that I am now a Registered Traveler in the United Kingdom. I had to apply for this and then be interviewed by British Customs on my August trip to London last year to receive this designation. Now, when I fly to Heathrowe, I go in to customs with residents of the United Kingdom and scan my passport on a special machine. Then, I can go to pick up my luggage without even having my passport stamped. Before, I was typically standing in line for about 45 minutes to get through customs."
     Keith added, "I'll be seeing "42nd Street" two times in London, and I have seen a different production of it twice in Paris last November. I love all the tap dancing in this musical, and have been a fan of tap since seeing it in BHS school assemblies. Twins Jim and John Manriquez were my classmates and were featured dancers. Last year, at the class of 1956 reunion I and my wife, Virginia Martin, also a classmate, kept dropping them hints that we would like to see a little bit of tap dancing, but no luck. Also, no luck with getting them to reveal the recipe for the yummy Manriquez pizza that was sold from their house on north Carroll Street."
     The Kornerman says, "I love it, love it. Great to hear from Keith, but especially appreciative of the fact that he will soon be viewing the Korner from a foreign land. Makes a guy from little old Boone Iowa think big."
K-----K
     Roger Dutton, BHS-63, has contributed some "Great Truths Little Children Have Learned."
     "The best place when you're sad is on grandma's lap." "You can't hid broccoli in a glass of milk."
     Then too, here are the "Great Truths that Adults Have Learned." "Raising teens is like nailing jello to a tree." "Middle age is when you choose cereal for its fiber, not the toy."
     And, here are the "Great Truths about Growing Old." "When you fall, you wonder what else you can do while you're down there." "You get the same sensation from a rocking chair as you used to get from a roller coaster."
     And, here's a description of success. "At both age four and at age 80, success is not piddling in your pants."
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Elizabeth Patterson..........Dale Palmer, 65.........John (Jack) Crosman, 88, Ogden. OHS-46. Marine vet. Farmed with his wife, Norma Jean Erickson Crosman, until retirement in 1993. Boone area survivors include his wife, son Dan and daughter, Jan Zahasky, all of Ogden and daughter, Linda McCoy of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment