Saturday, February 4, 2017

When did BHS basketball prevail?

     As I, the Kornerman,  peered through the very small print this morning (Friday), I had conflicted feelings. I  was extremely happy to note that both our Toreador girls and boys basketball teams are the league leaders in their Raccoon River Conference standings.........and, are in a strong position to capture league championships in each. Happy, happy!!
    However, such a BHS feat, a conference basketball title, is extremely rare, which highlights the sad part of the story.........twice. First, its simply sad that BHS hasn't been championship competitive in the sport in most years. Secondly, this news highlighted the fact, personally, that I, the Kornerman, sadly, is no longer "in the loop" like I was for so many years.
    Ryan Wendt, who seems to spend most of his waking hours following local sports on KWBG, called this week. He thought, "if anyone would know, Mo would." Wrong! His question was, "when was the last time the Toreador boys/girls basketball teams won conference championships?"
    At one time in my existence, I probably could have provided an almost immediate answer but not now and I find that sad. Prior to 1970, I spent numerous hours compiling a history of all Toreador sports. I had pinpointed the result of every BHS football game, every bounce of a Toreador ball, from the 1890's forward........each swimming result.......lots of basketball, baseball, track, golf, tennis......team and individual results of those events through the years.
    In 1970, an opportunity arose I couldn't pass up. I attained a position with the Iowa High School Athletic Association and time previously devoted to Toreador athletic events dimmed, although I did continue to stretch my football public address announcer stint beyond the 40 year mark.
     I still have various bits and pieces of those original pre-1970 findings. Meantime, memory has, no doubt, slowed somewhat and any of my BHS historical knowledge from 1970 to present is practically bare.
     I peered  through my memory, thinking of outstanding BHS teams of the past. Coming to mind quickly were some boys teams of the 1920's, the 1931 state championship team, some good clubs of the late 40's and 50's, including the 1948 state tourney team and a Bob Powers, Paul Stark led club in the 50's that opened with eight or nine straight wins and was ranked one of the top teams in the state.Then, later, I remember an Eldon Hutcheson coached team led by the outstanding play of his sons that was very good. On the girls side, Chuck Lovin coached a team one year that started with more than a dozen (17 or 18?) straight wins, Ralph Carroll had a state tourney entrant in 1958(?) and a team in the 70's qualified for state play. BUT, unfortunately, I can't determine whether any of those were conference champions.
     I sought some help from former Toreador athletes and there was some thinking that in the1956-57 season, the Toreador boys may have tied for the conference championship with Ames and Grinnell.
     I apologize.......there's too much me, me, me in this Korner. That has never been the intention. Its supposed to be you, you, you but when the Kornerman doesn't hear from you, we feel a need to fill this hole somehow.
     Anyone out there have any knowledge to provide on this subject of the day......"When did the Toreador basketball teams last win a conference championship?"
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Kenneth Anderson, 68, Ames. Beginning in 2011, Ken was a consultant for the Central Iowa Expo site near Boone...........Mary Joan Bass Fried, 84, Des Moines. Was born in Boone..........Peggy Turner, 71, Rockwell City. Formerly of Boone. Worked for Gillespie Motors, Duffee Insurance, Don's Body Shop and Ray's Auto in Boone. Retired in 2011. Boone area survivors include her husband, Ray, of Rockwell City, son, Mike Lauritsen, and brothers, Ben, Larry and Rodney Bennett all of Boone and daughter, Candy, of Ames.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
    
    
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment