Saturday, October 29, 2016

ENDORSEMENT

     Look, this election thing has been gnawing at the Kornerman for a long time but I've held back, telling myself, "don't get involved in politics." But heck, all the "biggies," the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Cleveland Plain-Dealer, all the big city media outlets in each state, even Iowa.....the Register, Gazette and others....... throw their opinion out. Why not another biggie...... the Korner? I've studied all the issues and know where everyone stands........why not? So, yes, the Korner is going to break precedent and endorse who we think would be the next great President of the United States. We'll make the announcement at the end of this edition (that will give us a few more minutes to determine if we still want to do this).
     P.S. No looking ahead.
K-----K
     One of our faithful viewers, Loren Frazier, BHS-58, wrote, "you, occasionally, write about your appreciation of certain musicians. Charlie Daniels is not my only favorite, but he is one of my many favorites, and this article, on the achievement of his 80th birthday, really touched me. He said, "my philosophy on age is simple. I know that time and gravity will take its toll, that you move a little slower as time goes by, but that's no reason to give up doing the things you love and that you're still physically able to do. There's no reason not to have something in your life that you can still get excited about, something that can give you an excuse to get out of bed in the morning. That's about all you need to keep on keepin' on."
     Loren concluded, "I know that you keep on and this is what I also do most every day. Let's keep on doing it together. Thanks for being there twice a week........you are special to a lot of people."
K-----K
     From Ann Coe, BHS-46, "I had occasion to see David Saggau, M.D., BHS-77, whom I'd not seen for over four years. Our conversation included "catchup news" and mention of Kelley's Korner and all the neat things you share through your blog. We both appreciate your efforts. Dave is still with Wolfe Clinics and sees patients in West Des Moines, Ames, Fort Dodge, Marshalltown and Spencer so you can see he keeps very busy! Not knowing when either of us may be in Boone or run into you, he said to be sure and tell you, "hello" for him should I see you. Anyway, thought you might like to know we were thinking of you and your newsy blog. Keep up the good work! Most appreciative."
K-----K
     Mark Tompkins, BHS-60, wrote, "I, too, wander YouTube and see some great music and entertainment. A really funny skit has John Wayne singing with Dean Martin. I have a copy of pal Tom Grasso's, BHS-60, resume and sometimes try to find pieces of his nearly 300 TV specials. One I know is there and you'll see Tom's name in the ending credits is the 44-43 minute "Rockin' with Rick Nelson and Fats Domino."
     Mark guided the Kornerman to that Wayne/Martin skit and it is hilarious.
K-----K
     Regarding one of the recent items in the Korner, John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "Minneapolis has renamed Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day too. I don't agree. The thing that disturbs me is a minority can cause so many changes that the majority of our citizens do not agree with and have better things to do than fight it. A good update on history for all of us could put all this in the proper perspective without holiday name changes. There are a lot of great aspects about our generation and times. Were we so picky about such trivial things?"
K-----K
     Re-responses to the recent upheaval about the Roosevelt statue incident. Janelle Henry wrote, "I was only a little upset about Dave German's words. Not nearly as much as Davi. No need to apologize to me. I was glad to respond to Dave directly and expressed my concerns with his thoughts."
     Dave, himself, wrote, "sorry you got grief on my comments. You shouldn't have to say you're sorry either. I didn't want to hurt your blog as I believe it is a gateway for many people to keep in touch. You do a great service to many, don't ever feel its not appreciated."
     By the way, Dave offered his email address and said, "if anyone is offended by my comments, they can scold me direct." The Kornerman did send his address to Janelle so they could have their discussion.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS: Charlotte Arrasmith Erickson, 73, Boone. BHS-62.Worked at Archway and Walmart. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Trudy Kramer, and a son-in-law, Jim Koenig, both of Boone and a sister, Dixie Wallace, of Ogden...........Steve Van Pelt, 60, Ogden...........
Leone Schmoldt, 96, Ogden. Born in Ogden. The family moved to California but returned to Ogden in the mid-30's. OHS-37. Leone worked at Ogden High School, for Boone County and for the State of Iowa. There are no area survivors.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/SUPPORT..........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
K-----K
     ENDORSEMENT: The Kornerman believes the individual best suited to be our next President of the United States is..............JOE MADDON, currently the manager of the Chicago Cubs baseball team.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment