Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Scholl Effect

     The Kornerman remembers Carole Nelson Smiley, BHS-52, as an excellent musician and a BHS cheerleader. She was such a great musician she has continued that avocation right through her collegiate days at Iowa State University and many places beyond.
     Through Gretchen Otis, lots of information has been received about Carole's music career.
     We'll let Carole, via Gretchen, in her own words, tell us about her start in music and a much rewarded conclusion. "I spent most of my "growing up" years in Boone, Iowa, a small town of 13,000 people. In 1944, the "Music Man" came to town only he (Konrad Scholl) taught stringed instruments at Boone High School. Mr. Scholl made the violin sound so awesome that I wanted to learn how to play it. Because of piano lessons, I knew how to read music. In fifth grade, I had a school rental violin and was in a class with three other beginning students. A couple of years later, I convinced my father that I needed a good violin. Mr. Scholl helped with the selection of a violin from a shop in Omaha. I still use it today as it has such a rich sound. Throughout those school days, I played in string trios, quartets, the orchestra and participated in state music contests in those and as a soloist. I also took private lessons from Mr. Scholl. My college choice was Iowa State University with a major in Home Economics Education. I had private lessons once a week with Ilsa Niemak and played in the ISU Orchestra with rehearsals two nights a week. After graduation, I accepted a teaching position in a high school in suburban Detroit. There, I found a symphony to play with called the South Oakland Symphony."
     Carole continued, "the following summer, I married and we chose to live in Cedar Falls, Iowa because it was a college town adjacent to Waterloo and an area population of 121,000. For eleven years, I played in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Symphony Orchestra conducted by Dr. Myron Russell, the Chairman of the Music Department at the University of Northern Iowa. My husband, Alan Smiley, BHS-48, was transferred to Omaha. I was busy raising three children. Subsequent moves, all of which were job-related for him, included living in a Chicago suburb, Dunwoody, Ga, Charlotte, N.C. and, finally, retirement in bucolic Buford, Ga. A neighbor told me he was going to the first fall rehearsal of the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra (1999) and would I like to tag along.It took me awhile but I got "back in the grove" and Juan Ramirez and all the members were so nice. I learned more about symphonic violin playing under Juan than any other conductor and looked forward to each rehearsal. Because of cervical neck issues and pain, I was forced to retire after my 15th season with the ACSO."
     Carole tells us about her retirement honor. "I was very pleased to be honored by the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra, May 8th, at their Spring Concert. Most of the members of the group are music educators, doctors or lawyers, but I was one of the few "pluggers." After the intermission, I was introduced by the treasurer of the group who said many nice things about me, presented me with a huge bouquet of flowers and a shadow box filled with a couple of photos of me, the program for the day, musical notes, etc. It was lovely!!"
     The Kornerman explains that Carole's retirement was due to health issues, intense neck and upper back pain, which eventually required surgery. Husband Alan has also experienced some health issues.
     The Kornerman is reminded of the fact that the Nelson family lived in the very house in Boone that Jo and I have resided in for the last 30 years. Carole's dad, T.N. Nelson, served as the Boone County Extension Director. Yes, the Nelson's once lived in the building that now serves as the Korner's Worldwide Headquarters.
K-----K
     From his Aurora, Co. residence,Michael Goodwin, BHS-63, wrote a very interesting note regarding the BHS gym naming. He said, "I would suggest they call it the John Blair gymnasium. He (John) is the one who donated the park to the city that the gym is built on. I read his will several years ago. I remember it stating that the land for Blair Park was given to the city with the stipulation that it would forever be a city park. That part of his will was violated when the school was built there in my opinion."
K-----K
     The Kornerman noted in a recent edition the fact that Ankeny IA is the third fastest growing city in the entire U.S. of A, according to the most recent census figures. Now, I note that another metro area community, Johnston, yes, little old Johnston, now has a population  of 20,460........a more than 3,000 increase since the 2010 census. Its a 130 percent increase since the 2000 census. We're absolutely exploding here in the Hawkeye/Cyclone state. You out-of-state viewers better think seriously about "coming home" where life is still great and getting even better.
K-----K
     Boone Connected Deaths: Jean Marie Bailey, 76, Urbandale. Served as United State Postmaster in Woodward in 1984 and Postmaster in Madrid  in 1985. She retired in 2000 after 34 years as a Postmaster...........Mike Pepper, 61, Boone. BHS-73. After military service, worked for the railroad, as a mechanic, a production worker at Gates and finally, delivered parts for Boone NAPA. Boone area survivors include his father, Bob Pepper, and son, Nicholas Higgins, both of Boone, son, Bob Pepper of Dayton and sister, Jean Mallicoat of Ogden.........Karen Huffman, 64, Boone. BHS-70. Worked at Citizens Bank and as office manager for Kruck Plumbing prior to retirement in 2011. Boone area survivors include son, Sean Clubine, of Ogden and stepson Adam Huffman of Boone...........Winona Decker, 94, Ames..........Coleen Hansen, 86, Tampa, FL. Formerly of Boone. The family moved to Boone when Coleen was a child. She moved to Florida in 2010. Boone area survivor is her stepson, Elmo Hansen. Burial in Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner Headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich Street, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


     
      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment