Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Skipping from Border to Border

     Korner viewers from Arkansas to Washington State to Virginia provided ammunition for this edition. We heard from the Grosnickles, Gary, BHS-53, and Delores, BHS-52, Bella Vista home, from Ron Hopkins, BSH-59, out west and Rick Houser, BHS-63, out east.
     Gary and Delores and Rick remembered the Kornerman is getting older. Yes, Friday is number 81 and, of course, it is just a number. In fact, I've told wife Jo several times I can't remember if its 81 or 91 this time. One thing I've noticed is it seems I'm always the oldest in a crowd. Maybe that's why I enjoy our 1953 class meetings so much........move of an even keel.
K-----K
     Ron Hopkins wrote from Edmonds, WA., "the recent anecdote about Jim Bridges provided some interest. I worked part-time at Redeker's during my first two years of college at ISU, 1959-61. Though I can't say I knew him well, Jim was a good co-worker and mentor. I think his dignity and level-headedness were good influences on me as a young man. I saw Jim a few times over the years in my occasional visits to Boone/ Redeker's and ran into him once, more recently, at the Dutch Oven Bakery. Redeker's was still on Keeler Street at the time of my employment. It was a couple doors south of a Coney Island and across the street from the Maid-Rite. Jim, Stan Redeker and Bill Curell were all great "bosses" and really fine people. I expect their character contributed mightily to the continuing success of the Redeker business. I have previously mentioned my "misspent" youth at the Bide-A-Wee. Sunday, I am taking the train to North Hollywood to play in the U.S. Billiard Association 2016 three-cushion billiard championship. I can't compete seriously, but participation has been on my bucket list. Thanks for the Korner. It stimulates many pleasant memories."
     The Kornerman says, "the comment about billiards immediately results in my memories of classmate and friend, Lloyd Courter, and friend Gordy Peterson, BHS-56. Lloyd, of course, spent many of his younger days at his dad, Hugh's, place of business, the Bide-A-Wee. During his college days at the State University of Iowa, he won the NCAA billiards championship.......no  easy feat. Gordy, of course, has done lots of traveling and competing at similar events all over the country and with great success.....winning more than his share of top prizes."
K-----K
     Boone Connected Deaths: Arlene Buechler, 95, Ankeny. Born in Boone County. Parents were Frank and Blanche Cooper. Jordan H.S.-38. Farmed with husband, Marvin, for 19 years. They eventually moved to Ames and she worked at ISU...........Ramona Fern Belden, 83, Polk City. Boone area survivors include a daughter, Gail Seeman of Woodward and a son, Rod Belden of Madrid.........
Dorothea Harris, 93, Boone. Worked as a beautician at various salons in Boone. Boone area survivor is her son, Bill Harris of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     
    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment