Saturday, March 21, 2015

Many Thanks

     What a celebration! The Kornerman's 80th birthday turned out to be quite an occasion and I certainly am humbled by the great response from Korner friends and friends friends and family. The cards and emails and calls were so much appreciated. Many thanks to all of you who remembered this milestone. Special thanks, of course, to wife, Jo, and our kids.
     Some respondents included additional information that was interesting.
     Mike Culver, BHS-64, from Omaha indicated he is finally retiring at the end of this school year after 47 years of successful teaching and coaching, 29 of those years at Creighton Prep.
     One of my close high school buddies, Gary Grosnickle, BHS-53, called from Bella Vista, AK and we had a nice update for 15-20 minutes. He and Delores seem to be doing very well in retirement.
     Heard from an old radio co-worker, Bernie Lewiston, a former Woodward area resident now in West Bend but a future resident of Ogden. Bernie's had some health issues and was hospitalized for a time but is home now. His wife, Evelyn, will be retiring from a full time ministry in June and the couple plans to move to Ogden at that time. Bernie wrote, "I still remember that Sunday back in November, 1963, when I showed up at KWBG and told you I was the new weekend guy. You probably wondered where they dug me up. It's hard to believe that was 52 years ago."
     BHS classmate Carol Miller Hopkins Pyeatt, BHS-53, wrote, "when reading your blog, "Same Old, Same Old," it reminded me how those words can be of another connotation. Whenever I see someone and inquire how they are doing, I, sometimes, get a reply, "same old, same old" which can be a good thing. It sure is better than hearing their mate, relative or friend has passed away, or with a serious illness or an accident, etc. Just another way of looking at "those" words. It's always nice to read of the "good old days" when being raised in a neat community the size of Boone. Stay well and keep up the good work."
     Longtime friend Mary Shaler Day, BHS-61, the Des Moines radio personality, wished me well and is still dreaming about co-hosting, with the Kornerman, a radio show of our own. It seems like all of our lives we have talked about that possibility.
     Jim Harken, BHS-91, wrote, "I understand this is one of the big ones and I'm proud to say I know you and that things are going well for you. I always love to read the Korner and see what is happening in my home town. Sometimes, I feel like a real little kid when some memories are shared, other times I'm glad I, occasionally, get to share. Makes me feel close to home no matter where I roam."
K-----K
     In addition to birthday greetings Karen Anderson wrote, "when I read about Lynn's Lounge I knew I had never heard of it but the comment about a Coney Island rang a bell. When I was a kid in the late 40's, early 50's, my dad took me to a Coney Island. In fact, as I remember, he took me to two different Coney Islands. Both of them were owned and operated by Greek families. The names Canakes and Kokinakis come to mind. There was a Peter Canakes who was born the same year as my dad, 1913. Maybe he was the one who ran the Coney Island. Then, I understand, one of the widows of one of the men who operated the Coney Island had moved back to Greece after her husband died. Anyway, I'd really like to know more. Maybe someday I'll make a road trip to Boone and stop in at the Boone County Historical Society to see what they have on this subject."
K-----K
     My classmate, Richard Longworth, BHS-53, wrote from the windy city, "I saw the headline in the BNR about the lack of interest prompts a cancellation of Boone's 150th celebration. The 150th should be a real big deal. I remember the 75th, a parade, celebrations, a special historical edition of the BNR etc. What's the problem? Are you the only person left who knows about our town's past, or cares?"
     The Kornerman replied that I remember the centennial celebration. I was quite involved because I spent many hours writing stories for the BNR's special 100th birthday celebration edition.
     I added that I guess a 150th celebration was too much of an undertaking for the "older crowd" and the "younger crowd," many who never grew up in Boone,.....could, apparently, care less.
     To that, Richard replied, "that's sad. How can you care about the future of the place where you live if you don't care about it's past? If they still teach history at BHS, I'd suggest a course on the history of Boone."
K-----K
     Kenneth Sundall, 87, Boone, formerly of Ames. AHS-45. Longtime banker in Boone. Survivors include sons, Michael and Ronald and step-children, Debbie Christopher, Dennis Andrews and Kris Higgins.........LaVern Hilsabeck, 76, Boone. Attended Luther and Jordan schools. Worked at Percival's, for the city of Boone and at Firestone before nine years as a custodian at the Boone schools. Boone area survivors include his wife, Barbara, and son, Jeffrey, plus daughters Jody McNaughton and Joni Olney and sister-in-law, Margaret Hilsabeck all of Boone...........Mackenzie Van Schuyver, 19, Woodward. OHS. Worked at Casey's in Woodward and a truck stop in Urbandale. Boone area survivors include her parents, Marty and Janelle Van Schuyver of Woodward, and grandparents, Arland and Beverly Van Schuyver of Ogden...........Tommy Mallicoat, 74, Boone. Longtime truck driver. Boone area survivors include his wife, Sharon, son Chris, daughters Nora Harris and Cindy Plummer and mother-in-law Myrna Harrison all of Boone. Other Boone area survivors are a son, Trent, and a brother, Gary, both of Ogden..........John Morrison, 78, Ogden. Formerly of Boone. Attended Ames schools. Worked at Quinn's in Boone for 33 years. Resided in Boone until 1972 when he and wife, Shirley, moved to Ogden. Boone area survivor is his wife, Shirley.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment