Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Viewer Obtains Info From Our Area Deaths Column

     The Kornerman is happy to report our Boone Area Deaths column has again successfully provided some information that a viewer had no knowledge of via any other source.
     Boone native Ken Aldag, BHS-54, wrote from Fresno, CA, "regarding obits, your Korner seems to be our primary source of information in this regard. I found out via the Korner about Jim Obrecht's death. Judirae (Hendricks) Obrecht, is Jim's wife and her grandfather, Walt Jipp, was my mom's second husband. We sort of lost contact after mom passed, but I'll give her (Judirae) a call today. Thanks for all you do."
     Ken had written about a memory of the Lippert Building and it's elevator. He had been catching up on the Korner and had noted some talk of that building in an earlier edition. Ken wrote, "My dad, Herman Aldag, had his bookkeeping/tax service/real estate office on the second floor, the corner office facing Eighth and Story streets. I remember the elevator operator (not sure whether it was Joe or Otis) always made bottles of rhubarb wine for the tenants at Christmas time. I recall the other second floor occupants were Doc Grove, the optometrist; Paul Brogden, who had a real estate office; and Ernie Bush, CPA (they may not have all been there at the same time). I recall we had a first row, balcony seat, so to speak, back, I think in 1952 during President Eisenhower's campaign. He came to Boone and had a motorcade parade down Story Street. We were able to get a good view of him from Dad's office windows."
K-----K
     The Kornerman received a very nice holiday greeting from Ann Onymous this week and we thank whoever it was that remembered us during this season. Thank you.
K-----K
     The Kornerman was elated to hear from John Burke this week. For a short time in the late 70's, John was the Toreador football coach, replacing Merle Harris who bowed out after the 1976 season.  John left Boone for a  high school football coaching job in Colorado. He wrote, "I found your blog when looking up some info on former Augustana football coach Bob Reade, who was a good friend of former Toreador coach Merle Harris. I knew Bob when I was coaching and he helped me immensely. I remember our days in Boone as very good ones for myself and my wife and our daughters. However, the move to Colorado was the best move we ever made as we enjoyed a great deal of success there. We have now been in Arizona for 18 years and Shelly and I are both retired. For many years, I ran the NIKE Coach of the Year Football Clinics in Las Vegas and Denver but no longer. I am also the Executive Director of the Colorado High School Coaches Association even though we live in Arizona. As you know, in this day and age, a person can live in the U.S. and work in China!"
     John added, "We are still close to Eldon and Ann Hutcheson of Boone. They were here in Arizona last year and we met them for lunch. We are also still connected with Ken and Jane Pospisil. Ken was in Boone when Don Ringenburg was coach but left Boone and ended up in Mount Vernon where he runs a decorating business. We also continue to exchange Christmas cards with Helen Grider."
K-----K
     Speaking of football and BHS coaches, the community lost former BHS teacher/coach Ralph Carroll this week and the tributes continue to pour in. He passed away Saturday at 92 years of age. Tom Peterson wrote, "He was a significant influence to many of us. May he rest in peace." Mike Loehrer wrote, "Ralph impacted my life immensely. I owed him from the day I transferred to BHS from Sacred Heart. He came off as hard-nosed and gruff but he was a sensitive, caring, wonderful man. I miss him already. He was an honest to goodness mentor to me. I can't express how sadly I feel about his passing."
     Ralph Carroll grew up in Sumner, Sumner grad-41. After military service, he graduated from Upper Iowa University and Drake University. He coached a short time in Oregon and then a short time at Leon, IA before coming to Boone in 1953 and teaching and coaching here until 1985. He guided his 1958 Toreador girls basketball team to the state tourney. Boone area survivors include his wife, Joyce, of Boone, daughter Jan Fuegen of West Des Moines and step son Mike Lasko of Luther.
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Lowell Wirtz, 94, Boone. BHS-38. Boone area survivors include his wife, Evelyn of Boone, sons Robert of Stratford and Gary of Stanhope.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment