Saturday, October 18, 2014

Such Fun

     Great to hear from Dorothy Clifton this week with some comments about the old K.C. dances AND the fact that the Toreador basketball players were banned from attending because the dances were on a Thursday night, the night before a game. That brings to mind some other "rules" which athletes were expected to adhere to in those days. Hey, maybe some of these pro and college athletes we read about every day in the news these days should have similar "codes of conduct."
     Dorothy wrote, "years ago, and I do mean years ago, I remember we had K.C. dances on Thursday night and the cost to enter was 10 cents. A priest would be there to watch over us and the football and basketball players were never allowed to attend because their games were on Friday night. I remember, as I went with Pinky Clifton at the time and coach Bucky O'Conner never allowed his team to join in the fun. We always looked forward to these dances and, in those days, we weren't in a lot of trouble like you hear about today. The music was from records and I imagine there were some students who brought their favorite records for us to dance too. I can't remember the exact location, but it was upstairs in the middle of the block on Story Street between Eighth and Ninth on the East side, not too far from where the movie theatre is. Sorry to be so vague about the location or the priest's name but I do remember looking forward to the dances. I really look forward to your news every week too, as others have written and thanked you. You do a great job Mo. Thanks for the memories. I hope others can fill in the gaps on the K.C. dances."
K-----K
     Classmate Margaret Kooser also checked in this week. She wrote, "with all the Redeker news, I didn't realize they were planning a move. Since relatives Bill Curell and his son, Jim, had been a part of the store for some time, it came as a surprise. Don't get much news about Boone happenings other than your blog, so I too, like my sister-in-law Lou Oxenford, am sorry when your feedback is not enough to do your blog. After sort of retiring last July, I moved to Western Colorado with my niece Deb and her husband Rick. We have been checking Grand Junction, CO where my nephew lives. Then Deb saw a notice in the paper that they were looking for a certain qualified person at the Caterpillar location in Grand Junction. Rick went in and they were very receptive towards him and it only took about a week to say "welcome." Now, we will be moving from Silt, CO. to Grand Junction before the end of the month. I will once again be a bookkeeper for another venture Rick has in the works. Just keep the numbers rolling! As the summer rec programs were mentioned, that is how my sis, Marilee, and Bill Curell got together. I think they were at the old Franklin school, but would not bet on the location. I was playing a pickup game of softball one day and got hit square in the nose. Turned the playground red that day. Bill's mother was also one of the long standing telephone operators in Boone. Guess family ties keep me grounded to a lot of Boone activities. Hope the class of '53 will be meeting again next year, but I could possibly drop in sooner. Also, hope this is the last move I make. I've done too much of it the last 30 years."
K-----K
     The Kornerman had mentioned having some historical material on BHS sports activities and not knowing what to do with it so it simply wouldn't pass away after I pass away. It's been a lot of work over a long period of time such as  tracking down every Toreador football game from the very start in the late 1800's. Every opponent, every score and where the game was played. Same thing with swimming and other sports activities.
     I won't be around forever and I'd like to pass this type of material on to someone who would, at least, protect it if not add to it.
     John Kueck is such a great contributor and he wrote this week with some ideas such as the library, historical society, the Boone News, someplace for a public viewing or, of course, the school itself. In that latter regard, he wrote, "maybe it could be a project for students to create an archive in the school, maybe the cheer leaders or some similar group could take it on at the first of the school year as a project."
     To be honest, the material just covers the beginning, way back,  to about 1971 when I left newspaper work to join the IHSAA. So, recent years are missing. By the way, quite some time ago, I did leave a complete copy of everything I had to the school's athletic department. I have no idea if it is still available there or ??. If so, if it is still available there, I guess I should stop worrying about it..........
     Thanks to John for the ideas and also the interesting maps he sent......maps that show where major league baseball and NFL fan support exists for each league team.
K-----K
     I don't believe I know Peggy Watkins but congratulations anyway. I noted in the D.M. Register that she is from Boone and a finalist for a Women of Innovation Award. Her category is Academic Innovation and Leadership,  Secondary.
     A total of 45 female entrepreneurs, academics and others have been nominated in the Technology Association of Iowa's seventh annual Women of Innovation awards. Winners will be announced November 11.
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Laura Samuelson, 103, Stanhope. Born on the family farm near Boxholm. BHS-29. Became a registered nurse. Was married in Boone. The family farmed in the Stanhope area.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment