Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Great Time

     What fun, after so many years.
     A week or so ago, John Hinz informed the Kornerman that a group of fellow 1964 classmates, as part of their reunion weekend, would be playing golf Friday (yesterday) morning and it would be a good time to renew acquaintences.
     Several of those 1964 grads were members of the 1962 Babe Ruth all-star baseball team that I managed. That team won state and regional championships and I and my assistant coach Mel Murken, both single at the time, "baby sat" 15 Boone 14-15 year olds from Hampton, IA to Wellington, KS and on to Bridgeton, NJ where they particpated in the Babe Ruth World Series. So, this opportunity for a reunion with some of those guys over 50 years later doubled the fun. Many of them I had not seen since their high school graduation.
     John Hinz organized the golf outing and he and Roger Dutton were the first to appear Friday. Later, Steve Roeder, Pat Ahlstrom, Mike Culver, John Hendricks and Dick Musser came on board as did several locals.......Toby Anderson, Jim Grabau, Al Schroeder, Bob Clark, Sandy Mahood and Larry Kelley.
     There were lots of hugs and greetings and stories and I hope I mentioned all the guys that appeared.
     Marsha McCoy Wilson was also there as well as Steve Roeder's wife. I was also introduced to the class foreign exchange student from that year who came back from overseas to take part in the reunion.
     Some special news. John Hinz was with Boone native Linda Swain and they announced they will be married in August. John Hendricks is also either newly married or will be getting married soon.
K-----K
     Speaking of BHS classes, Loren Frazier has, on his website, and with the help of Dee Burke, a complete 1959 class roster.........names, addresses.......the entire thing. His address is Lorenlfrazier at hotmail.com.
K-----K
     The Kornerman received word from Mike James this week that his wife, at a garage sale, had purchased a copy of the KWBG "Dial Your Neighbor" recipe book that I and Roger Weber had published in 1960. Mike has forwarded that book on to Carol Kuster at KWBG and Mike tells me an electric copy will be posted on their website.
     I responded to Mike......thanking him for letting me know and I also mentioned that although talk radio is a big deal these days, I thought Weber and I were "ahead of our time." This was 1960 and I think we might have had one of the very first talk shows, at least in the Iowa area. Listeners were encouraged to call in with "talk" about anything from foreign and local news developments to household tips and recipes. The recipe book contained the various recipes we received from listeners via that program.
     Mike wrote, "So you are the guys to blame for Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern."
     If I remember right, a Waldorf red cake and one for home brew were especially popular.
     I didn't hear it myself but I was told there was some discussion "on air" on KWBG this past week about the book.
     P.S. Oh yes, I do have a copy.
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Steve Middleton, 64, Boone. Worked for Sandler Bilt Homes and Hanson Lumber and most recently was a Boone County Deputy Sheriff. Boone area survivor is his wife Karen..................Carlos Tooley, 78, Missouri. Born in Boone. BHS-54...............George Schroeder, 84, Louisiana.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments........
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment