Friday, May 16, 2014

A Paper Route and a Regular "Stop"

      Recent mentions of Clyde's Hamburger Inn provided some memories for John Kueck. He wrote, "I was a Boone paperboy at age 11. I'm not sure R.P. Brown (the BNR circulation guy forever)  knew and never would have endorsed it since I delivered a "split route" with a regular carrier who didn't like the work of a whole route. I was also naive enough to do the whole route on occasion to retain my half. As far as I know, RP thought I was just a helper, but I did all the delivery and collection of one half of the route......all  behind the scenes. Since Saturday deliveries were around noon, Clyde's became my regular lunch stop that day. I went right past Clyde's on the way to my route. With an age 11 appetite and a weekly paper route income of only about $2.50, I would have two of the hamburgers at less than 40 cents. They were as good as everyone says. Often, I would have to wait in the very small restaurant until one of the (six?) stools opened up. After a couple years, I assumed the entire route formally and grew it over the years to about 120 subscribers with a weekly income of over $8.00. My appetite also grew with age and toward the end of my paperboy days, I would have five of Clyde's hamburgers for less than a dollar, which I could easily afford with my higher income. I have no recollection of french fries during those days. I wonder if they were a hamburger staple as they are today. A friend often ordered a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. Once I tried it, it also became a favorite of mine on some Saturdays. The hamburgers were quite small relative to most hamburgers today......similar to today's sliders, but the tenderloin was quite large, sticking way out of the bun. I forget how much the tenderloin was, but more expensive I'm sure."
K-----K
     Mark Tompkins and Richard Longworth came forth with ideas for Korner memory makers.
     Mark wrote about a time when there were one and two-man gas stations in town and also attempted to think back to a time when the downtown area featured businesses like J.C. Petersen Clothing, the three theaters, Osco Drug, Miller Pharmacy and Deuel Drug, Riekenberg's, Junior Fashions, McCaskey's Cafe, the Bon Appetite and Barstad's and Johnstone's Bakery, Sears, Wards, Gambles, Hamilton Hardware, Lawson's, Fareway, Safeway, Thriftway, Moffitt's, Ross Motors, Carswell's, Jerry Bales Motors, Vogler-Nieman, Nystrom Motors, Boyd's Dairy, the Princess Dairy and Boone Dairy, the Bide-A-Wee and lots of places that served your thirst.
     Mark wrote, "Today, most of them and many others are gone. Let's hope the Kornerman isn't throwing in the towel to join the long list of defunct Boone has-beens. Please keep on keepin' on."
     Richard thought a lot of the various teachers he had while attending Boone schools and suggested that our viewers must have some great stories about the teachers that mean't so much to them.
K-----K
     Vern Modeland wrote, "Look what I found when I clicked on the "next blog" tag up on the top line of the front page for your blog."
      He sent a web site address and it directed to a tenement museum blog which I briefly looked at.
     Vern concluded, "Now that ought to stimulate those old memory glands some more to spur us on with ideas. Trouble with us "more mature" readers is that all our ideas are pretty much worn out too."
K-----K
     Boone Area Death: Leroy (Sarge) Webber,  88, Denison. Boone area survivors include a son David of Ames and a grandchild Kallie Webber of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment