Wednesday, October 26, 2022

THE BOONE R.R. YMCA

     Lets talk about the "old" Boone YMCA. Now, for some of you, the "old" Y was located on Carroll Street, just east of Boone High School. No.......not this time. This time we're talking about the "real old" or Railroad YMCA on the north side of Eighth Street, approximately where the O'Reilly Auto Parts store, 735 Eighth Street, is now located. 

    We received a very nice "old" picture of that "old" RR YMCA this week and, talk about conjuring up some old memories........wow.

    Marsha McCoy Wilson, BHS-64, had some memories.....Carl Saubert, Barry Wills, Vi German, Grid, flag football, concrete gym floor, hockey game using a stick and checkers, ping pong....great times!!! She said, "add your own" which we will a bit later.

     She also said, "what an amazing time and place in which to grow up. We all had pretty ideal childhoods. Driving up and down Story Street over and over hoping to see friends doing the same, piling a few of us into a car's trunk to sneak into the drive-in.....too many more memories to mention."

     Without too much investigation (I, the Kornerman, is retired remember) I think (?), originally, it was a viable cooperation between the railroad and a YMCA. Boone was a stopover for many railroad employees in those days. Those employees had a place to go to shower and stay and spend time between "runs," while there was also enough "space" to provide some recreational activities for the young people of Boone.

     Personally, I, the Kornerman, remember Executive Director Carl Saubert and also Al Jaggard, who I remember showing us "kids" how to shoot free throws, two-handed, under-handed. Who could forget Barry Wills and others who had the enviable job of allowing good standing members entrance to the lower portion of the building while keeping non-members away while moaning and groaning. Decisions were all made by the simple tap of a buzzer that magicially opened the door to worlds of fun in the gym and other downstairs areas.

    There was a small pool at one time but it was bathroom size and, eventually, became non-existent. The concrete basketball arena though........that was the ultimate. Gee, I wish I had a nickel for all the hours spent by all in that gymnasium. There was a running track above as I recall, the lighting wasn't the best and a shower and change of clothing were badly needed after each visit, but to many of us.......it was our home away from home.

     Friday night Grid and the dancing it provided was a popular venue for after most Toreador games and, even today, there are probably couples who started a lifelong romance in that, somewhat, dingy gymnasium. Several table games were available upstairs with stiff competition determining the champions in ping pong etc.

     They weren't railroaders, but I do recall at least a pair of individuals, Leo Hall and Red Ritchie come to mind, who lived in the upstairs apartments.

K-----K

     Referring to our recent News Republican talk, Tony Crandell, BHS-59, wrote, "I always tried to sit next to Jim (Tex) Anderson, on the floor under the baskets in the BHS gym. I always thought his 4 x 5 Speed Graphic was the neatest camera I had ever seen. So, I had Chuck Lainson buy me a 4 x 5 Crown Graphic (the same, but no focal plane shutter) and I talked Jim into showing me how to use it. Whenever I came upon an accident or any other newsworthy incident in the Boone area, I would shoot four negatives (two film holders) and drop them in the BNR mail slot in the front door. Jim would then process the film and my pic(s) would be in the next edition. For that, I got my film holders back with four sheets of fresh film and the "byline" under the printed picture. Jim always had time to help/teach me. It was always fun to see one of my pictures turning on the photo-engraver that was on a cabinet along the south wall."

     Mark Campbell, BHS-67, added, "my grandfather was a linotype operator at the Register. At his 100th birthday, he said he personally bankrupted the Typographical Union's retirement fund by outliving everyone. But his most poignant remark came as he sat with his grandchildren, my cousins. "I'm 100. I've outlived two wives, all my friends and colleagues. I can't hear. I can't see and I can't walk. Time is my burden." Then he lived 2 3/4 more years."

K-----K 

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices......

kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment