Wednesday, October 19, 2022

REMEMBERING OUR MENTORS

     Continuing with memories of our Boone News Republican days by former employees, Richard Longworth and Mo Kelley, both BHS-53.
     Richard wrote, "Rollie Peterson and others taught me copy-reading. Brownie (R.P. Brown) taught me how to use the Speed Graphic,  Tex Anderson gave me opportunities and freedom and Earl Senholz and later, Harlan Weeks, tightened the leash, giving me an education in journalism that was a lot more useful than the college classes I took later. Those linotype operators were amazing. To this day, they, and the other guys in the print shop are my idea of skilled craftsmen. Over the years, I worked with some teletype operators and they were the same, fast and accurate, and really good at their jobs."
     I, the Kornerman, have clear memories of writing my stories on an old L.C. Smith typewriter (oh, how I hated to give that up), sending the stories to a linotype operator and then, later, meeting, usually Boyd Van Meter, at his back shop station to watch him slide that metal to the location on the sports page that I determined it belonged. Some mathematics was required. I'd receive a "dummy sheet" of my page with any ads required, marked out. With the rest of the space available, I had to measure out how long stories were and mark them where I wanted them located, keeping in mind the number of inches each story would require. It was kind of like putting a puzzle together. So many inches of space were available and you  had so many stories of varying size to insert.  Proof reading was part of the procedure too. You attempted to write each story without error, of course, but after the linotype operator had done his job, I'd get a copy of what I had written and that he had repeated in metal. So, I'd get my first chance at checking for errors. Later, when the page was completely put together, again, a copy was made and I had a second and final chance to proof that full page that would soon appear in the BNR.
     Richard's story is one that should be a real motivator for young people who have many questions about their future and whether they can be successful. A doctor's son, he preferred journalism and after wonderful experiences at a young age in that profession, he rose to the very top........20 years as a foreign correspondent for the Chicago Tribune and United Press International, with long stays in London and Moscow. Twice a Pulitzer Prize finalist and winner of numerous awards and citations nationally and internationally and, finally, as a respected author.
     But the Boone News Republican in little old Boone Iowa.....that's where it all began for him.
    Richard wrote, "Tex hired me out of ninth grade and had me covering whatever high school game or track meet was going on, mostly in the evenings. I'd cover the game, then write it up at home and drop it on Tex's desk on my way to school the next morning This, sometimes, got complicated. I played trombone in the BHS band, so I recall marching into Goeppinger Field with the band before football games, playing the national anthem and then leaving my trombone and big band hat with Leland Barstad, BHS-53, and dashing up to the press box, where Mike Stolte, BHS-53, had the lineups for me ready to go. Just before halftime, I'd run back down to the field, retrieve my hat and trombone, go through the band's halftime maneuvers, then run back to the press box to cover the rest of the game. When I got old enough to drive, I'd go down to the office, take over the editor's swivel chair and write my story. For all this, I got paid space rate, a nickel an inch.These days that would be called exploitation but I loved it."
     That reminds me, the Kornerman, of those years when I broadcast the Toreador games on KWBG and then raced down to the BNR to write the story of the game for next day's BNR....a daily paper in those days. Always had to step next door, briefly, to Rudy Fraulini's bar/restaurant, for one of his wonderful pizza's to chomp on while I was finishing my story at the BNR office.
K-----K

     I knew we would miss some people that worked during the same time that Dick and I were employees there, that should be members of the BNR Hall of Fame.
     How could I forget good friend and, later, next door neighbor, Mary Wittmer? There was a good guy......Rusty and I think it was Johnson or Thompson that I haven't been able to finalize. I think he may have moved on to Nevada. And then, I'm thinking there was another fellow that was in charge of the back shop and I believe his first name was Ed. I already came up with Don Garrett and Doc Routh and this Ed, I think, was also in charge back there at some time.
K-----K

     John Kueck, BHS-61, wrote, "I still vividly remember picking up my papers (120) from R.P. Brown through the teller-like window with the presses rolling in the background. Then, going to the side room with counters for folding. Lots happened in that room that R.P. ignored, from initiations to paper bag fights. The newer paper boys took the brunt of the harassment. I kind of sneaked by without that harrassment since I was a helper before becoming a paper boy and, thus, was viewed as a veteran....thank God!
K-----K
 
     Lester Ross, BHS-67, wrote, "the Boone Slammers 12-year old traveling baseball team ended their season at Holiday Park in West Des Moines with a 2-1 tournament record and a third place finish. Their only loss was to the tournament champion. The team, coached by Nate Ross, was considered one of the top teams in the state in their age group and were winners of several major fall baseball tournaments this year. Nate and several other coaches led the Boone fifth and sixth grade Little Toreadors football team to an awesome victory over Fort Dodge. It was the second week in a row they eeked out a victory. Offense gets the glory but the defense won the games. By my calculation, this should make them the league champions. They were true "giant killers," being outsized in every game this year."
K-----K
 
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.

    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment