Thursday, October 10, 2024

SOMETHING "SPECIAL"

     This just has to be something "special." 

     After all, in these older years, my mind is somewhat removed from lots of important (I guess) "breaking news." Much of it just doesn't grab my attention as it may have in the past. There's so much disinformation available to assimilate and I won't or can't take my valuable time? to devote to it. 

     Yet, there it was. Something that did grab my immediate attention. Something I thought was "special" in these very uncertain times. Something that seemed simple but was very noteworthy, at least in my mind.

     The other day, Boone Park Board Commissioner Susan Thorngren issued a report on what was termed, "Dead Tree Removal Day" in Herman Park and a north portion of McHose Park.

     Alright, what's the big deal?

     The work done was great. Some 26 trees and 20 stumps, afflicted with various diseases, were removed.

     HOWEVER, what really caught my eye and impressed me the most was the fact that several portions of the community CAME TOGETHER to produce a very successful event. There were no cares about political or church affiliation, or race, or color or any other petty disturbance and the result was a very productive outcome.

     Six local tree service companies, over 30 licensed tree professionals, worked voluntarily at the task from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.. There were some 20 other volunteers who helped in various ways. Boone County RSVP, Rotary Club and PEO members helped by guarding the barricades at the bike path and entrances to the park. Twelve members of the Evangelical Free Church prepared food and water for lunch donated by Hy-Vee, two Park Board Commissioners donated extra burgers and ice cream. R and W Power provided a case of bar oil for each of the tree companies and KWBG even broadcast some of the event.

    Amidst all the nation's turmoil, that event should draw attention to all of us. Its not magic. Its the simple fact that when people come together, nationally, locally, whatever, there can be great accomplishments.

    Makes me proud that such "togetherness" can prevail in my community. I'd love to see even more of it.

K-----K

    Worldwide Korner headquarters are still located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices..........https://kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment