Wednesday, October 16, 2024

MILITARY MEMORIES

     Suddenly, I've reminded myself that in all the various writings I've done through the years, I've never elicited much, if any, discussion about my military experience.

     Well, I became a multi-star General, fought many battles and earned numerous citations and awards. JUST KIDDING.

     Actually, I'd say I spent two years in the U.S. Army in a somewhat "unusual" way. Lots of quirks. Enough twists and turns that I think, perhaps, veterans, especially, might find some of their own "memory makers" by reading of some of my experiences.

     My story began in June 2 of 1955 when I accepted a diploma from Boone Junior College one evening and left the following morning for a Des Moines induction site.

     That was followed by a train ride to Camp Chaffee, Fort Smith, Arkansas, where I spent eight weeks or so for basic training. In my 20th year, I don't recall  much about that time, except being on the range, waiting for the break of dawn, so we could do some firing at "Maggie's Drawers." WOW, the goodness of the Army, doing that deed when it was much cooler than a time later in the day. I also recall the very sandy nature of the soil, which our superiors were delighted to have us rolling around in or constantly facing their demands of keeping our weapons exceptionally clean. Yes, this was a period of constant harrassment.

     When that time ended and a short furlough began, I was able to "hook up" with a military aircraft for a free ride to Waterloo, the closest route to Boone I could locate......and yes, I was very anxious to get home. In fact, I hired a taxi to complete the journey. It was much quicker and no expense was to be spared.

      After my leave, a train ride to Fort Lee, Virginia followed for "advanced" training in the supply area. That occupied the next block of time. The main remembrances I have of that experience is the fact that we often had to tie outside things down due to frequent storm warnings. A "buddy" and I also managed a weekend excursion to nearby Washington D.C. to watch an NFL football game.

    Then, another long train ride as I found my more permanent military home with an assignment to Stockton, California, where I spent my final 18 months of service. As time passed, I realized I was living a "dream." Admittedly, somehow, I had secured the "luck of the draw" with this military assignment.

     The Stockton assignment was about as "low key" as any service challenge I could possibly imagine. There were as many, if not more, civilian employees as there were military people at the base which was near an inland port, and away from the main city of Stockton itself. 

     Many of the military people housed here were involved in the building of eye glasses, serving a huge portion of our military forces in outposts worldwide. It was a "big deal" and these "glass makers" made up a major portion of the base enrollment. Their importance seemed to deter any need for "normal" military procedures. Salutes, guard duty and various other standard demands were not required.

     There were no more drills, very few inspections and a very "laid back" militaristic approach. We were on a list for occasional kitchen duty. I not only fulfilled my obligation, I took advantage of that to make a little extra spending money. I often volunteered to replace someone on their weekend assignment for $20 a day.

     And about all that training in supply? About the only thing close I ever experienced was driving a truck with a week's supply of "dirty clothes" to Sacramento, McClellan Air Base, an hour north. There, I would exchange the troops clothes........one's they had sent to be cleaned up and returning the previous week's supply that had been cleaned.

     I had numerous other jobs during my time in Stockton.........headquarters secretary, mailman and Colonel's Driver. The Colonel was the top officer in the camp and my job was to keep his car clean, full of gas and always available. Many times, I would take him to a meeting and simply wait in the car (sometimes for hours) for his return trip. I felt we were close but never dreamed how close our relationship would eventually pay important personal dividends.

     Several months in, word came that this small but "dream" base was to be closed and all the soldiers, except those glass makers, would be moved elsewhere. Some were going to stateside bases and others were even assigned overseas to various locations.

     My good Colonel called me in his office and asked, "how much time do you have left?" I was nine months away from discharge. He gave me all the options available and concluded with, "do you like it here?" I jumped on that.....absolutely. He then indicated he could arrange for me to conclude my time here with one stipulation. "You would have to be a dental assistant".......serving all those "glass makers" who were NOT moving and their families.

     My final nine months, I worked with another great guy. I was a dental assistant to Captain Elzy Knowles, a Texas dentist who was a draftee. All I had to do was line up appointments for the remaining soldiers and their families and, on occasion, hand him some tools during a procedure.

     NOW IT CAN BE TOLD: A bonus was the fact that two or three times during those final nine months I made a trek back home to Boone (actually Perry) via the City of San Francisco AND the Captain, himself, always provided me "extra time home." I would apply for a leave starting on a Monday but actually leave the previous  Friday and the good Captain would "sign me out" or do whatever was necessary to give me those extra few days. Did the same thing coming home so I actually had maybe 16-17 days free but was only charged for 14.

     May 31, 1957, it all concluded

     I know......I had to be one of the luckiest guys to ever wear a military uniform. Every landing was extremely soft. But, even had my stint been much more difficult, I will always state that in that time of my life it was an extremely important step forward.

     I learned a lot about myself and much about life, itself.  Meeting and watching, close up, the actions of people of many varied personalities, home towns and cultures was unbelievably important.

    I stand proud today that I served. I would certainly recommend a similar experience for all young men. 

K-----K

     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.......htpps://kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

    

    

    

     


    

No comments:

Post a Comment