Tuesday, December 28, 2021

UNIQUE GIFTS

     Another Christmas has passed and yes, I, the Kornerman was, again, badly spoiled with gifts galore.
     One of the more unique gifts I received came from a granddaughter in Colorado. It was a complete surprise........a metal sign, white lettering over green with the words, "Kinnick Stadium, 139 miles." It is already a nice addition to my office wall.
     For well over 70 years, I've loved the Hawkeyes AND the Cyclones, so please, just because of that sign, don't label me a CINO (Cyclone in name only.)
    I have a long history with BOTH  ISU and the UOI and, as I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of ANY ISU vs Iowa event. I don't like the thought of either one losing. For that matter, I guess I'm so Iowa bred I don't even like it when any other Iowa teams faceoff either.
    As a teen, I remember hitch hiking to ISU football games at old Clyde Williams field and later, enjoying season tickets at Iowa State basketball games. My media membership also allowed me first class accomodations at Kinnick for Iowa football games which I attended for many years.
    Does anybody remember the year that the Cyclone basketball team completely stunned the Kansas Jayhawks at the old ISU Armory? That was when Kansas, the number one team in the nation at the time, was paced by big Wilt Chamberlain while Gary Thompson was the Cyclone star.
    Little Gary dazzled the Jayhawks and Chamberlain in every way possible and the Cyclones won to make headlines in all the major U.S. media markets.
    That old armory seated something like 7,000 fans and I was one of the 100,000 who have always claimed they were at that game. To be honest, I don't recall whether I was there or not. I remember it vividly and, this was before television coverage, so I guess, perhaps, I was in attendance.
    By the way......a great trivia question. Who made the game winning shot for the Cyclones in that game? No, it was not Thompson. Don Medsker, a Colorado native playing for ISU, made the winning bucket in that memorable ISU victory.
K-----K
    Speaking of gift uniqueness, a smaller item I received comes to mind.  It's called, "Iowa Chat." It is simply dozens of very small 1 x 4 inch cards that show Iowa type "facts" on a variety of subjects. For example......"If you had any place in Iowa completely to yourself for one full day, what place would you choose?" or "What do you believe is the most picturesque small town in all of Iowa?"
    I thought maybe there was an answer to those questions on the other side of the cards. But no, there was no answer.
    The idea behind this is that these Iowa "facts" spark conversation. So, they say the "facts" are a starting conversation point, ideal for parties or mealtime or family gatherings etc.
    With "Iowa Chat," there's no more of that sitting around in a circle wondering who if anyone would soon "break the ice" with a type of 
comment that would shatter the uneasy silence. Very simple but compelling.
K-----K
     BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS
     Beverly C. Hanson, 93.
     Daniel J. Ivis, 64
     Mary Louise McGuire, 99, Madrid.  Survivors include a daughter and four sons including Richard McGuire of Boone.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/comments/memories/death notices..
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
       
 
 
 
 
 

K-----K

No comments:

Post a Comment