Wednesday, December 22, 2021

HAPPY, HAPPY HOLIDAYS

      Mark Campbell, BHS-67, who I worked with at KWBG for a time "way back" wrote, "if you are ever stumped for a topic, consider regaling the boys and girls with your exciting time as the official weather station observer for Boone."
     Well, everyone is busy these days during the holiday season so maybe this is a time for some reflection on a couple of things that, unfortunately, you viewers have had to.....or not......put up with in past Korner editions.
 
     PART ONE - Anyone can do it.
    
     The weather station? I have no idea how it happened but I assume, because I was part of the K-dub staff, it was logical that someone there act as the official Boone weather person.......reporting on a daily basis to the National Weather Service. I happened to be the "guy."
     This was serious folks. In my backyard, all the various weather reporting tools were placed. It was a box type affair with all kinds of thermometers etc.. and it was my duty to check all those.....current temps at certain times, previous highs and lows and etc. I had to write everything down daily and report the info to the "real" weather bureau each 30 days.
     I don't remember any reimbursement I received but, of course, I was able to use the info garnered daily on our radio shows.
    A gentleman by the name of Charlie May had preceeded me as the official Boone weather guy.
    One thing that stood out to me was learning how to measure snowfall correctly. I posed that question to the proper authority and I'll never forget his answer, "you find an average size drift and stick a yardstick in it." I assume, by now, there are better methods.
 
    PART TWO - Second Best, I'll take it. 
 
     I've noticed we've been in another of those graduation cycles and that reminds me of another story that I've told way too many times.
     I've given high school commencement speeches several times.......Hamburg, Center Point and other Iowa high schools that I've forgotten about but the one most remembered was at our own Des Moines Area Community College.
     My boss at the Iowa High School Athletic Association was always a much sought after speaker......statewide and even nationally. One morning he came into my office at 8 a.m., or so, looking haggard and suffering from coughing and other such ailments.
     "Mo, you're going to have to take my place as a commencement speaker," he said. I questioned where and when and he replied, "this morning at 10 a.m. at DMACC."
     I had no choice. To the DMACC stage I went and produced what some have said was the greatest commencement speech they had ever heard. The graduates were especially complimentary. Someone said they timed the speech at eight minutes. I suppose that's why the audience  thought it was so great. In a thousand years, I couldn't possibly remember what I said but it sure did seem to make that crowd happy.
     Recalling that got me thinking of a similar instance.
    Many of you may recall the legendary Jim Duncan. Jim was a Drake University professor.....very well known for his microphone work at the Drake Relays and during the Iowa State Girls High School Basketball championships.
     He also served as the Master of Ceremonies for several years at the Iowa High School Athletic Directors Hall of Fame banquet.
     I don't recall the year but I do recall the phone call. Someone from the AD group called with the terrible news that Jim Duncan had passed away and they would like me to step in as a substitute MC just a day or two later.
    Well, I did and it ended up that I continued that MC job for several years after.
    I'm proud to think that I had the opportunity of  "stepping in" for, being "second best to" two of the most legendary speakers, ever, in the State of Iowa, Bernie Saggau and Jim Duncan.
K-----K
    BOONE CONNECTED DEATHS
 
    Audre Lindahl Paulson, 95, Ogden. Born south of Ogden. Boxholm HS-43. Worked at ISU. Married Merlin Paulson in 1947. The couple farmed southwest of Ogden. Survivors include a daughter, daughter-in-law, sister and sister-in-law.
    Janet Ann Dunn Kruse, 77, Story City. Moved to Story City in 1973. Survivors include her husband, Leonard, and four sons, including Michael Dunn of Boone.
    Dave Keel, 67, Ogden. Born in Ogden. OHS-74. Survivors include his wife, Judy, a son and brother.
    Norma Jean Walker Lem, 94, Ames. Born in Boone County. Kelley HS-45. Married Paul Lem in 1949. The couple moved to Ames in 1969. Survivors include two sons, a daughter-in-law, sister and sister-in-law.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 928 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message. To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices.....
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment