Yes, I know, some of us are old and even, occasionally, cranky but that long experience can be a valuable asset.
That's why we always enjoy hearing from 94-year old Vern Modeland, BHS-50, for his observations of the world today, yesterday and, perhaps, even tomorrow. Communication has always been one of his greatest sources of wisdom.
That love started with famous Boone High School physics instructor H.L. Cunningham and continued with work at KWBG and a couple other area radio stations. Eventually, he secured an almost lifetime position, both in the mechanical operation, as well as on-air duties, with the Iowa "big guy," coast-to-coast WHO, Des Moines, Radio AM/FM-TV.
Vern is a close Korner and world "watcher" and in his latest offering, he's very concerned about something that could eventually impact all of us.
It would be interesting to know how many radios appear in an average American home. One in the kitchen for sure, followed by the bathroom, living room, bedroom and, of course, even the garage. We're not even going to mention our vehicle options.
There are those who already lock in faithfully to the FM mode but a vast majority still depend on AM material and if that would disappear, as Vern thinks it will, a game changer in every day living would be the result.
In all honestly, I, the Kornerman, admit I am not savvy to this situation. I've done no research or made any effort to decipher the why's and where-fores, although I have had glimmers of some type of change in the way we listen to radio. I just know Vern is upset about all of the possibilities.
He wrote, "I've spent the day online researching this latest broadcast radio thing. It turns out I may be one of the last to know how dead and dying it really is. I listened with sadness last night to the Tulsa clear channel radio voice advising its listeners that it was "moving" at the end of the month to 95 Mhz and there would be no more AM available. No other explanation, just, "it will be.""
Vern concluded, "be prepared for the end of AM broadcast radio and the wonderful clear channel stations that allowed a look-in on the life and thoughts of those not adjusted to the blogs and thought control most recently encroaching on our lives."
As we all have made our way through years of life, we've experienced many changes. Some have exploded into greatness while others have been a dud, and then there are those that, as my mother used to say, we should just give some time too, "wait and see."
I imagine, eventually, we'll find out.....something.......for sure.
K-----K
Congratulations to another BHS grad who is making an impressive move.......good for him and good for Iowa State University.
Jesse Howard, BHS-93, is joining the ISU Department of Music and Theatre as the Theatre Office Coordinator.
An ISU news release stated, "Jessie will be a valuable asset to our department as he supports our students, faculty, and staff in creating a collaborative and welcoming environment."
The release adds, "Jessie brings more than 25 years of experience in administration, operations, customer service, and leadership across healthcare, higher education partnerships, and technology. As Technical and Volunteer Coordinator at Mary Greeley Medical Center's hospice, and formerly, Israel Family Hospice House, he manages administrative operations, coordinates volunteers, supports special events, and collaborates across departments to provide exceptional service to patients and families."
The Kornerman has known Jessie as an extremely dedicated longtime supporter of Boone youth baseball, primarily as a top notch umpire.....good enough to be selected to work worldwide championship baseball games in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.
Congratulations to another Boone resident who has earned the praise of his home community.
K-----K
Worldwide Korner headquarters are still located at 929 South Jackson, Boone, Iowa 50036-4932. Phone number is 515-432-1530. Leave a message.To email your stories/memories/comments/death notices......https:/kelleyskorner1@blogspot.com.

No comments:
Post a Comment