Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Coney Islands

     Ron Hopkins, BSH-59, wrote from the great state of Washington, "Karen Anderson mentioned Coney Islands in commenting on the Lynn's Lounge story. I don't remember Lynn's Lounge either. Maybe a different name in the 50's and 60's? I also don't, precisely, remember a Coney Island on the north side. I certainly do remember,and, fondly, the one on the southeast corner of Eighth and Keeler. Great! I think there were two, and that they were owned by the Kokanakis brothers. I also understood that Danny, who ran Dan's restaurant in the 1100 block on the east side of Story, just south of the current Casey's and across the street from what was then a rundown residential hotel, was a Kokanakis. He was certainly patient and a great friend to many of us from nearby Sacred Heart. Danny could also get more grease infused in french fries and hamburger patties than anyone now living. Where, more specificially, was Lynn's Lounge? Was it in the spot invaded by a motorcycle gang many years ago? I have a feeling, Mo, that Coney Islands and Danny Kokanakis have come up in the Korner before but I couldn't confirm. If this is repetitious, please excuse. I continue to get great pleasure from your blog."
     The Kornerman says, "where do we begin in answer to Ron's questions?"
     Lynn's Lounge was located at the northwest segment of the 10th and Story intersection and, of course, is now a shell of it's former self, due to the recent "cave-in" of an outside wall. Prior to Lynn's it was a tavern with various names including Walt's. Regarding the Coney Islands, I don't recall any in north Boone either. There was the one Ron mentioned that was operated by............. was it Pete Kokanakis? At least it was a Kokanakis I know. Mary, I believe, operated the business after her husband's death.  There was another Coney Island on the north side of  Ninth Street, east of Story, across from what is now the Union Pacific Railroad parking lot. The Kornerman believes that was operated by Jimmy Douroumis. Danny's restaurant, located in the area that now houses a Casey's near 12th and Story, was a favorite when I was growing up and it was operated by Danny Canakes. I believe the motorcycle invasion Ron referred too occurred on the opposite side, east side, of the street from Lynn's/Walt's in the Wilson's Tavern area.
     Please correct the Kornerman if I'm wrong on any of this.
K-----K
     Karen Anderson mentioned that when she was researching the Coney Island locations, via the Ames Public Library, she had a memory of, not the Coney Islands but, another noted Boone area restaurant......Hornbeck's in Moingona. Karen wrote, "The couple who owned and operated it were Emma and Billy Hornbeck. My aunt, Helen Pollard, was Emma's daughter. Helen and her husband, Floyd (Snub) Pollard, operated the Chick-A-Dine restaurant and Topper Motel. By the late 40's, Hornbeck's was long gone. We used to go out and visit with Emma. Billy died in 1949 but I remember him. I was born in 1946 so, in some respects, I still have some "wits about me." Emma lived in a different house out there, by the time I was old enough to remember. I do remember walking up the road from her place and you could see the remains of Hornbeck's. Part of the building was made from rocks."
     On another subject, Karen wrote in reference to our mention in recent editions of  Harlem Globetrotter visits. She wrote, "I have a memory of my dad taking me to see the Globetrotters. But, being logical, I thought, "no, that can't be.....would they come to Iowa?" I thought maybe they played in Des Moines and he took me "all the way" over there but I thought, "no, that would be too far to go." But, Kelley's Korner saved the day (Jan. 28th edition of KK). Thank you for providing a great service to me and anyone else who has childhood memories but aren't quite sure they are real or imagined until one sees it on Kelley's Korner. I think I'll go fix a Coney Island and watch a basketball game."
     The Kornerman says, "as we've mentioned before, I don't believe the "original" Globetrotters have ever been to Boone. Des Moines?.......yes, many times. However, there are and have been numerous Globetrotter "secondary" units that travel around to smaller communities and some of them have appeared in Boone."
K-----K
     Good news from Jerry Manriquez, BSH-57. Pamela Schultz, the Director of the Boone County Historical Society, has a number of duplicate Scrolls and sent the 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1920 and 1921 editions to Jerry. Remember also that Jerry does not need to retain the Scrolls he receives. He returns them to the sender within a week or so.
     Jerry also reported that Nancy Westfall Gurrola, BHS-60, will be sending him a collection of Bumble B's from the 1957 through 1960 era. Karen Mondt Johnson, BHS-66, is sending a 1968 Boone Junior College (Cub) yearbook. Jerry is still looking for the following Scrolls....1910, 1911, 1912, 1931, 1971-79 and all those from the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's.
K-----K
     Quick hits: Great to see another of my former Babe Ruth ballplayers the other day. Kevin Barnes, BHS-79, was in town to visit his dad, Kenny, for a few days. Kevin is a financial advisor with Bentonville, AR listed as his home base. Alas, the poor boy is a Cardinal fan.
     Another recent visitor was Julie Munson, BHS-73, who was in town visiting John and Char and buying a horse to take back to Oklahoma.
K-----K
     Boone Area Deaths: Robert (Bob) Richards, Polk City. BHS-62. Born in Boone. Parents were Chester and Florence Richards. Was a construction superintendent .........................Lynn Ebel, 67, Boone.........James Fullerton, 75, Boone.BHS-59. A mechanic he moved back to Boone and worked for 23 years at the DOT. Boone area survivors include his wife, Eldenna, of Boone and a sister, Jackie Opperman of Pilot Mound............Beverly Peters Maddux, 82, Madrid. Born in Boone and attended Boone schools. Worked for Meredith Publishing in Des Moines. Boone area survivor is a son, Curt, of Madrid.
     Former DMACC Dean Joe Borgen passed away in January. A celebration of Joe's life will be held tommorrow (3-26) from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Lake View Building 7 on the Ankeny Campus of DMACC.
K-----K
     Worldwide Korner headquarters are located at 710 Aldrich, Boone, Iowa 50036-4703. Phone number is 515-432-1530. To email your stories/memories/comments/support.......
kelleyskorner1@gmail.com.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment